The Disney Magic was Walt Disney Company’s first ever cruise ship in 1998. It is built by the Italian shipwarf company Fincantieri. On board there is space for 2400 guests and 945 crew members. In the beginning the Disney Magic was the ship for longer cruises (7 nights) in the Caribbean and later the Mexican Riviera and the special cruises like the Transatlantic and the Mediterranean. Now it’s used for all kinds of cruises. The ship is registered in the Bahamas.
The tickets for the maiden voyage (the first cruise) were given away in February 1997. On July 1st 1998 the Disney Magic left from Venice to arrive in Port Canaveral July 15th 1998. The real maiden voyage left July 30th 1998.
On October 1st 2005 the Disney Magic was in dry dock for 10 days in Norfolk, Virginia, for big maintenance on one side, but also for some enhancements on the other side. Enhancements like 3 new salons in the Vista Spa, a new space for children, Ocean Quest (where there used to be 3 conference rooms) and a 7.2 by 4.2 m LED screen near the pool for families to show movies and sports events. There were also some small enhancements to Parrot Cay that change every night during dinner.
- Maiden voyage: 1998
- Built: Fincantiery, Italy
- Weight: 83 000 tons
- Length: 290 m
- Width: 32 m
- Speed: 40 km/h
- Decks: 11
- Passenger: 2400 + 945
- Staterooms: 875
- 73% of the staterooms are outside staterooms, 60% of them with a verandah
- Number of phones on board: 1850
- Maximum amount of stored water: 310 370 l
- Maximum amount of stored fuel: 77 500 l
- Anchor weight: 14 tons
- Engine horse power: 15 448
- Horse power of all engines together: 77 243
- Each ship can clean 1200 tons of sea water to fresh water each day
- Water for the laundry is recycled water from the air conditioning: 280 tons per day, from which 220 tons is reused
- The colours of the ship are Mickey’s colours: red, yellow and dark blue
- Registred: Bahamas